The month of May is the month which the piety of the faithful has especially
dedicated to Our Blessed Lady, and it is the occasion for a moving tribute of faith and love which Catholics in every part of the world pray to the Queen of Heaven.
During this month Christians, both in church and in the privacy of the home, offer up to Mary from their hearts an especially fervent and loving homage of prayer and veneration. In this month, too, the benefits of God’s mercy come down to us from her throne in greater abundance (Paul VI: Encyclical on the Month of May, no. 1). In our observance of the Marian month we encourage you to do some of the following to celebrate the month of May:
- Bring fresh flowers to adorn our statue of Mary
- Light a candle at Mary’s Altar
- Pray a Novena to Our Lady
- Look up and learn about a new Marian Devotion
- Memorize a Marian Prayer
- Pray the Rosary
- Get and wear a Miraculous Medal (Our Lady promised St. Catherine of Laboure great graces to those who wear this medal)
- Read a book about Mary Pope Paul VI goes on to say that May is an opportune time to let our petitions fly to Our Lady – especially for the needs of the Church and the whole human race – that most urgently require our Blessed Mother’s intercession.